Monday, December 04, 2017

Ankle Bracket Backing Strip Replacement

Building activity for droid #1!

At R2's event yesterday, somehow the backing strip of the ankle bracket on the left leg tore out and went missing, so I had to create a new one. This is made from a flat piece of 1/8" PVC, so I measured and marked where to cut for the small replacement part.



I decided to use the saw attachment on my Dremel to do the cut, partly because I can more easily cut a straight line using a poor-man's fence, and partly because I had few other options.



I cut the strip longer than needed, so I could trim it to fit.






I applied white primer, followed by Krylon Chrome Aluminum paint.



At least it doesn't look any worse than it did before. I did manage to mar a bit of the paint job with the model glue I was using to glue the piece into place. If it bugs me too much, I can always repaint.



This is the first time in over 10 years of running R2 that a part has gone missing. Hopefully it'll be at least 10 more years before it happens again.

No comments: